Friday 26 June 2009

The trauma of being English

We can't we say what we mean when it comes to our hearts! Maybe this is the trauma of being human, but I think its very specificly an English middle class thing. I've been in love with my best friend for over a year now, and we've fallen out over it, but I've not once asked her out. I've suggested it in a 1000 different ways but never once actually just said the words, "would you like to go to x on a date?" or simply "will you go out with me". Its not that I don't want / wish / desire / crave to say those words (maybe she thinks I don't or can't... :( ) its just that I susspect they might not be well received (even if I did think they would be well received, I think I would find a way to say them without saying them). What the hecks up with me >.<. Funilly, I do tell her I love her, thats actually easier to say! Its a statement of fact and it can't be rejected, it just is.

I'm probably in the whole mess because I gave in from the start :(. Well, more accurately, I took her at her first words that she was just looking for a friend (back then I wasn't in love). I feel so damn pathetic for that, for trying for it to be her to make the move. My only saving grace is that I did once genuinely ask her to marry me on the phone once, and meant it with the whole of my heart (I'm glad I did, I was surprised at the time because it burst out of me because it was so wanted to be said. I didn't realise how much before then). I didn't get turned down then, but I did get asked never to say it again and told it has no answer, which i'm not sure isn't the same thing. I negotiated to a "maybe never" *sigh*.

She is the only girl that I would marry. Only other time I've even thought about marriage I regretted thinking it the very next day (but sadly in that occasion I told the person I could see myself marrying her...). With A, I will never regret it, but I do wish I had been so much less pathetic about it. Especially as it seems that attrition seems to be the way to the heart of the girl I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do YOU think?