Wednesday 9 January 2019

Insane future, Microsoft can spy on you when your device is OFF

So when I first heard about this I was, "yeah right" but then I read into it and was blown away.

For those interested, check out position 37:48 in the linked video (https://channel9.msdn.com/events/BUILD/BUILD2011/HW-456T) I'll quote them here:

"Again I want to underscore that, Connected Standby is on, its logically on, but it looks OFF to the End User"

This means, Microsoft, on supported devices, can even turn ON your "off" device (should they wish).

Whilst I believe Microsoft aren't really using this feature deliberately to spy (they already have simpler mechanisms to coerce user cooperation such as Windows Live and being unable to use most interesting software without being online) it does mean the option exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do YOU think?